[Amps] Re: The White Smoke

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Sat Aug 28 13:04:37 EDT 2004

Hal,
You sure you don't have Gremlins? No, the transformer should not have
done that. Even if it were out of phase, it should have just maid a loud
moan, and then after a few seconds, tripped a breaker. It should have
not burned up this easily! I have been building amplifiers since about
1981-1982 and have never seen this. I have used two transformers in
parallel time after time again and mistakenly hooked the phases up
backwards. I never once burnt one up! Keep in mind that over my career,
I have probably built from scratch, 200+ amplifiers! Even when in
Vo-Tech school, I was learning how to design and wind transformers
there, we had to calculate one by how the instructor gave us a spec,
then build it from scratch. I had this happen there on one that I wound,
and all it did was kick out a breaker after a few seconds. The primary
coils didn't even get hot!

Now this is my opinion, and some may come down on me for this, but Peter
Dahl is NO better then any other manufacturer. He has this Hypersil
thing going which is not some big secret material. All hypersil is, is a
C-Core lam that is cold rolled, grain oriented, 3.5% silicon steel, 18
Kilogauss, nothing more. There are several other trade names for the
same material, and M-6 is about the same in an EI core! Now this
transformer should have been tested and "burnt in" before it was
shipped. this includes double-checking the connections. I never let one
out without testing when I was winding several years back. They should
be tested with and without a load if they are a special. If they are a
common one, they should be burnt in for at least 1-2 hours without a
load. If something is going to happen, it should within that length of
time. The burn in also switches the transformer on and off at least 4-5
times.

Now if it were me, and that being their fault, I would not pay shipping
again on the transformer. That is just too expensive to ship from where
your at to Texas. I think if you check state law about warranties and
guarantees, you don't have to as they're liable for it. This is despite
what their warranty may contain. An ethical company would not charge you
this either for at least 30 days after purchase. I'm not sure what their
terms are, but that's how some try to do it. Besides, you paid about X2
what the transformer was worth anyhow! This makes me wonder just how
good is their quality control too! I can assure you of this, if I were
running the joint, this would not slip through the cracks.

One of two things should show with a multimeter. Either a short or an
open has occurred. I'm not sure which you found, but that's all that
could have happened from this situation. This either from a bad winding
or an incorrectly labeled transformer lead.

Will Matney