[Amps] TL-922A - Loud Pop, Blown Fuses

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sun Dec 5 18:22:48 EST 2004

On Dec 5, 2004, at 2:14 PM, Clay Curtiss W7CE wrote:

> Thanks for the responses.  I didn't think about an internal tube short
> as a
> possibility.

Hello, Clay -- An internal tube short makes very little sound.  A loud
pop is in the atmosphere, not a vacuum

> I removed the plate caps from the 3-500's and the HV  measures
> normal (2100V CW, 3100V SSB). Is it logical to assume that one (or
> possibly
> both) of the 3-500's has developed an internal problem

If the anode-grid leakage is <10uA @ 8kV, the vacuum is good.  If the
grid-filament breakdown potential is >5kV, the tube should not short
when it is hot.

> or should I be
> looking for other causes as well, such as a bias supply problem.  I
> don't
> have access to a hy-pot tester, but a simple resistance check from
> filament
> to grid on both tubes doesn't reveal a short.

Tubes with only a few kV of withstanding potential will grid-fil short
when hot, and this problem can not be detected with an ohm-meter.

> One thing I didn't mention earlier (because I don't believe it's
> relevant)
> is that the small filament choke (L20) that connects to the filament
> transformer center tap, has overheated in the past.
> Since one of the tube
> filaments came unsoldered from the pin (a simple soldering job fixed
> it),  I
> figure all of the extra current flowing through the small choke was the
> cause of that.  Other than some discoloration, it appears ok.
>
> Any and all suggestions are welcome.  I don't want to risk my power
> supply
> by blowing more fuses trying to determine which of the tubes might be
> at
> fault.

Does the 922 blow fuses with the tubes removed?