[Amps] TL-922A - Loud Pop, Blown Fuses

gdaught6 at stanford.edu gdaught6 at stanford.edu
Sun Dec 5 21:10:32 EST 2004

On 5 Dec 2004 at 18:03, Clay Curtiss  W7CE wrote:

> Hi Rich,
> I didn't remove the tubes, but I did remove the anode connection to
> both of them for the quick HV test.  The fuses don't blow when the
> anodes aren't connected.
>
> I figured the sound wasn't inside the tube for the reason you mention.
>  Any idea what could be causing the loud pop?  The first time I heard
> it, I figured it was the spark gap on the T/R relay, but after
> thinking about it that doesn't make sense since I wasn't transmitting
> and the amp was in standby.

I'll respond to this via reflector; I've already posted to Clay.

I repaired an LK-550 (three 3-500z's) that sounded like a .22 caliber
going off.  It was the fuses.  I removed all 3 tubes, and put them
back, one at a time, trying each socket.  I found two tubes that were
fine in any socket, and one tube that ate fuses.  In fact, sometimes
the fuses exploded... literally... like blown to smithereens.
Replaced the bad tube, and everything was fine.

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT