[Amps] .82 ohm

R.Measures r at somis.org
Tue Dec 7 16:23:21 EST 2004

On Dec 7, 2004, at 9:17 AM, Colin Lamb wrote:

> Rich said:
>
> "if a g-g amplifier is tuned for max P-out, grid dissipation will
> always be reasonable"
>
> It seems that statement includes the reasons why a grid meter is
> desired.  Let us explore one example.  The antenna swr jumps up
> substantially because a low flying hang glider clips off part of it.
> The plate amplifier will no longer be tuned for max P-out.  The plate
> current meter may be anywhere.  We do not know about the output meter,
> however if we are watching voltage, there may be such a substantial
> change in impedance that the voltage remains the same even though
> substantially

This would depend on which way the feed Z went.  If the feed Z
decreased I-grid would decrease unless the C-tune and C-load were
readjusted.

> and would be the only meter that would indicate the problem.
> Redundancy of metering is not a bad thing, especially where operators
> often ignore them.

An SWR meter would do the job.

> Even better are flashing leds that indicate excessive grid current,
> because they are instantaneous.
>
> Another case would be where the plate choke burns out because you are
> operating on 12 meters.  In that case, no plate current will flow, or
> if in the cathode, only a small amount.  Hams have been known to keep
> whistling into the mike trying to figure out what went wrong,
> increasing their drive, while blowing their grids out.  A grid meter
> might prevent that.

Choke fires are pretty hard to miss since the smoke plume typically
causes a stentorian HV flashover to the roof of the RF deck.  .

> Besides that, how can a red blooded ham have a meter that does not
> dance when the amp is in operation.  Sometimes I put extra meters on
> just to watch them all work.  Some of the great transmitters have 8
> meters.

8 is definitely enough.