[Amps] post

R.Measures r at somis.org
Wed Dec 22 08:42:45 EST 2004

On Dec 21, 2004, at 5:36 PM, larry williamson wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has had this problem with this amp. My amp
> is still under warranty so that is good. Anyhow, after having the
> amp on standby for about 1 hour, a very loud bang and is heard.
> After a call to Willie at Ameritron. We came up with a bad tube and
> a blown 51-ohm grid resister.

Larry --  A bad tube does not make a big bang because an arc in a
vacuum is not noisy.   For example, when testing a vacuum-C, when the
high-pot tester potential rises to the breakdown point and the C arcs,
the sound heard is barely  audible because there is no atmosphere
around the arc to transmit sound.   Thus, the sound you heard probably
originated in the atmosphere, not in a vacuum.
-  Big-bangs and blown grid resistors often accompany intermittent VHF
parasites.  The way to determine whether a parasite or a gassy tube
blew the grid-fuse R is to measure the anode-grid leakage current of
the tube with a high-potential tester.  Set the tester to c. 2x the
anode-V that is present in the amplifier and measure leakage current.
If the current is under 10uA, the tube does not have a bad vacuum.

> The D117 diode is was ok and did not
> need replaced. Now this has happened two times now on different
> tubes. Willie said it was a tube problem and the quality of the
> china tubes was not that good.

Early Chinese tubes had problems -- especially with the glass recipe.
Recently produced Chinese tubes seem to be pretty good --  If they are
in a stable amplifier.   In an amplifier that is marginally stable, the
better the tube, the greater the chance of regeneration and stentorian
bangs.

> He also said not to leave the amp in
> standby very long.
> Has anyone got any thought this?

--  The TL-922 is probably the best example of an amplifier that is
unstable in standby. An HF amplifier should be unconditionally
VHF-stable in both standby and operate.  The way to achieve this is to
artificially reduce the VHF gain of the tube by decreasing the VHF-Q of
the parasitic suppressor.   cheerz