[Amps] Relays

Bob Maser bmaser at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Dec 23 10:12:07 EST 2004

This may be a little off tune for the AMPS reflector but I need help(people
that know me have said that for years).  I am converting an old Collins
20V-3 broadcast transmitter and I need a relay to do some power cutback
switching.  I happen to have 2 really nice heavy duty relays made by P & B
but they have 24VDC coils and, since the Collins rig doesn't have anything
close to 24V, I would have to use a separate power supply just for these
relays.  But then I noticed on the P & B data sheets that the coil
resistance and current draw are the same for a 24VDC relay coil and a 120VAC
relay coil.  288 ohms/84ma and 290 ohms/85ma respectively.  Does this mean
that I can apply 120VAC to my 24VDC relay coil?  How can this be?  This
violates Ohms Law.  I aint about to try this until I've checked with you
Elmers.

Bob, W6TR