[Amps] KW Rated Low Pass Filter Caps?

Vic Rosenthal vic at rakefet.com
Fri Dec 31 11:52:53 EST 2004

doc wrote:

> 1.  Are the Micas likely to have drifted significantly in
> value over time?

Measure the values.

> 2.  Is 2,500V a sufficient rating for this application?

The voltage rating is more than adequate, but the current rating is what is
important here.  I think that a 2500V mica cap is most likely adequate in this
respect also.

> 3.  Are series-stacked Ceramic Disk caps of the same value
> (e.g. four 100pF caps for a 4KV rating) a good alternative
> to achieve high power handling capacity?

I would say no, because they will not handle as much current without heating up.
  And I have found that even the doorknob-type ceramic caps are not good in this
application.  The problem is that the higher-value ceramics usually have N750
temperature coefficients, and they just take off as they warm up.

> 4.  Are Micas and Ceramics of the same capacitance, voltage
> rating, and tolerance % equivalent components in this app?

No, because of the current ratings.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco