[Amps] 4CX800 2 Meter Linear

R.Measures r at somis.org
Mon Feb 16 08:41:17 EST 2004

>Hi Gang..
>
>I've seen a lot of good advice metered out here, and quite a few problems
>solved....so here goes with my present headache.
>
>I've just finished a 4CX800 2 Meter linear...it's a near copy of the
>JH2CLV device, but with a "standard" slab line anode with flapper tuning.
>The plate line is U Shaped with a sliding assembly with fingerstock at the
>earthy end of the line to couple the RF out to the world.The line bends
>around from the DC Blocking Caps to adjacent the Socket where it is
>earthed..makes for a short RF Box. The Tube end has two 330pf Doorknobs
>attaching it to the Tube.

**  Paralleled DC blocker caps unavoidably create a parallel-resonant
circuit.  I would use a dipmeter to see where this resonance happens to
be parked.
-   I would use one capacitor for the DC blocker.  For 2m coupling, 50 -
100 pF would be my choice.  For effectively bypassing 2m,  C  should
probably be no more than 250pF to avoid operating the capacitor above
it's self-resonant freq.

>DC conditions are 1850 on the Anode ( when tuning with constant carrier),
>350v on the Screen and the grid bias set to give 150ma idling current. All
>the above is controlled/supplied by G3SEK Boards.
>
>The thing fires up no problem, but going to Tx and injecting some rf drive
>yields little in the way of output. After much swearing and testing which
>involved putting a 2k resistor across the Anode/Screen and looking into
>the Output connector and checking for resonance on 144.200 and tuning
>up/down to make sure I had the line the right length and a low SWR, I can
>only get about 120w out with 6w of drive.The thing "peaks" the rf when the
>anode flapper is tweaked, and the flapper sits at about 5mm off the plate
>line when it is tuned.  Sliding the output coupling up and down its
>travel, from furthest away from earth towards earth, yields max output as
>I approach the earthy end of the line, but the screen current does zilch.
>
>When I have max output, I'm looking at about 680ma Ip, very little in the
>way of screen current ( the needle hardly moves) and a big kick
>"backwards" on the Grid Meter...Yep, it attempts to go negative,

**  Which way is the grid-I meter polarized?

cheers, Glenn.