[Amps] Alpha 76AE, help

R.Measures r at somis.org
Mon Jan 19 23:38:02 EST 2004

>Hello All, I have a throuble with an Alpha model
>76ae, that a friend of mine let me to use it.
>According his words it was out of service for
>several years due to a minor problem.
>I remove the cover and quick discover the
>fuse F3 broken, replaced it  and switch on, but
>NIL, then I found one of the mains broken too
>replaced it and switch on all OK, but in few seconds
>the resistor R112 (3.3K from HV to onel leg of
>plate overcurrent relay) literally explode!.
>The Big-Bang switch off the mains of home
>and my cat that was sleeping on the shack
>looked like hedgehog!
>Any suggestion of where the problem could be!
>Thanks very much in advance for the help.

**  The first thing I would try is to replace the blown parts, remove the
tubes, and see it it still has a problem.  If it stops blowing fuses,
there's a chance that the tubes have gold sputtering damage to the grids.
 This condition can result in an arc across the anode to grid insulator,
thusly shorting the HV to ground - especially during max-signal
conditions.

good luck/buena ventura, Jorge