[Amps] Alpha 87A troubles with fault 17

Dick Green dick.green at VALLEY.NET
Fri Jan 23 15:03:27 EST 2004

Andy,

I don't know if all Kenwood rigs have the problem. It's been quite a few
years since I had the 940 and I can't recall if I had fault 17 problems with
it. If I did, they were not as numerous as the problems I had with the 950.
I don't know how W8JI measured the leading edge spikes on the 950. I think
he would have to use a storage scope.

I don't think the 950's ALC problems are necessarily limited to the T/R
transition when PTT is pressed. It is certainly possible that the rig has
problems controlling speech peaks. Most of my problems showed up on CW or
vox SSB, so we can't compare. Another possibility is that the speech
processor is misaligned. Can you drive the problem with and without speech
processing? It's certainly possible that there's nothing wrong with the ALC
or speech processing and that you have the mic gain or processing turned up
too much. It's very hard to see big, fast spikes on the 950's meters when
your voice gets momentarily louder. If you have a good peak-reading
wattmeter with a variable hold delay you might be able to determined what's
going on by putting it between the 950 and 87A.

I do not agree with the person on AMPS who said there is something wrong
with the 87A. The amp is doing its job -- protecting the delicate and
expensive tubes from a potentially damaging drive or load problem. The only
"bug" is that the firmware reports the wrong fault code -- 17 instead of 13.
If it really is 13, then the rig is producing large spikes. This could be
due to rig design flaws, misalignment or improper front-panel settings.
However, just to make sure, you should connect the 87A directly to a
kilowatt dummy load to make sure there's no arcing in your antenna system
(i.e., that it really is fault 13 and not fault 17.) Another way to convince
yourself is to borrow another brand rig (I'd suggest Yaesu) and see if the
problem goes away.

I've had good luck speaking with Alpha (Crosslink) people on the phone and
via e-mail, but it's been quite a while since I've done that. Glenn is very
helpful, so if he's still there keep trying to get through. However, I would
do some of the above tests before consulting with Glenn. No need to bother
them if it's a rig design problem.

73, Dick WC1M