[Amps] HV SAFETY QUESTION

Jim Isbell millenniumfalcon at cableone.net
Sat Jan 24 09:30:08 EST 2004

On a 19" rack full of batteries (floor to ceiling) that had only a
potential across the terminals of  12Vdc, one of the technicians decided
to replace a screw in a barrier strip that was missing.  Most of us
realize there is a reason that the thread on those screws is NOT
standard.  It is so that you dont get the wrong screw in the hole!!
 This guy found a screw (naturally it was too long , not too short) and
even though the thread was wrong he managed to screw it in with a big
screw driver.  When it hit bottom the 12V was shorted to the chassis
with lots of AMPS.  I made that sickening hum like a huge transformer
firing up and from the front of the rack I could see a red glow all
around the rack.  The arc continued until the metal was eaten away far
enough to break the arc, about 1/2" in all directions.  When I went back
the guy was sitting on the floor leaning against the wall with his eyes
as big as saucers and just staring with his mouth wide open.  Only his
pride was hurt.