[Amps] Drake L7 in need of TLC? Advice please!

M1AQV M1AQV at qsl.me.uk
Sat Jan 24 16:31:21 EST 2004

Hi all, I’m new here so please forgive me if these questions have been
asked before!

I have recently purchased a Drake L7 amp, which I was told was in good
working order but after some examination I believe requires attention.
Apparently it has not been used for 18 months and the seller was unable
to demonstrate. I have not attempted to power it up at all, opting
instead for a close examination to hopefully correct any weaknesses
before they cause any further problems.

My findings so far:

Nine of the PSU diodes have been replaced with new 1N5407’s. I can
clearly see where at least one of the previous diodes had blown leaving
black marks on the adjacent filter caps. The remaining 5 diodes look to
be originals. Also, three of the 150K ohm resistors are replacements

Some quick checks with a multimeter revealed one suspect shorted
(original) diode – it measures 4K ohm across it rather than about 160K
ohm I found across the others (all still in circuit).

I’m also concerned about the filter caps – 4 of them have what looks
like small ruptures on the paper covered positive ends. Is this a
problem? If they measure OK on a capacitance meter can I retain them or
are they ready for the bin? If so I wonder if replacing them with 330
mfd, 450 v Nichicon’s as per instructions on the following webpage is
safe and/or recommended? –

www.wb4hfn.com/DrakeArticles/TechTips/ElectrolyticRelacements.htm

What diodes and resistors should I use? I assume it is best to replace
them all as a matter of course? Should the diodes be rated higher than
standard due to the bigger capacitors?

I have read about replacing the 0.82 ohm fuse resistor with a 10 – 15
ohm glitch resistor, what is the best one to use?

I was told by the previous owner that one of the 50 k ohm 50 watt bias
resistors shorted to ground (to one of the fixing screws?) and went open
circuit – this was replaced along with the method of mounting.

Hopefully with the help and wisdom from some of you chaps I will end up
with a reliable and correctly operating amplifier, so I’d like to thank
you all in advance and anticipation! I expect that I'll have more
questions as I discover more problems, but for now, 73!

Tyron, M1AQV