[Amps] AL-1200 Pop

Ed Briggs edbriggs at optonline.net
Tue Jul 6 22:19:50 EDT 2004

It could be lots of things. But I recently had this problem and it turned
out to be the tube.

Symptoms:  Pop in standby, at power up.
                   Visible flash, apparently coming from RF compartment
                   Occationally, damage to B- clamping diodes.
                   No carbon or other charring

Differential Diagnosis:  Remove tube; apply power.
                                   Never happened with tube removed

Alternative theories:
                   Parasitics
                   Dust, humidity, spiders and other bugs,
                    finger grease on the tube chimney
                    bent chimney clips
                    Cracked or damaged blocking capacitor

Actual Cure:
            Replacement of the tube.

Apparently, Ameritron has seen this before and replaced the tube w/o charge
(under warranty). The tube was returned to Ameriton
for testing and 'tested good' but promptly failed when re-inserted in my
amp. Ultimately, my tube went back to Eimac.

(Yes, I know, you shouldn't have seen a flash for a tube arc, but there was
an arc. It may have been a reflection
of the step start relay arcing, or perhaps the light of the internal arc
through the ceramic)

Happy hunting

Ed