[Amps] AL-1200 Pop

R.Measures r at somis.org
Wed Jul 7 09:53:04 EDT 2004

On Jul 6, 2004, at 7:19 PM, Ed Briggs wrote:

> It could be lots of things. But I recently had this problem and it=20
> turned
> out to be the tube.
>
> Symptoms:  Pop in standby, at power up.
>                    Visible flash, apparently coming from RF =
compartment

=F0  I do not see how a defect inside the tube could cause a flash in =
the=20
RF out compartment.

>                    Occationally, damage to B- clamping diodes.
>                    No carbon or other charring
>
> Differential Diagnosis:  Remove tube; apply power.
>                                    Never happened with tube removed

=F0  That shoots down the bad blocker C theory.

> Alternative theories:
>                    Parasitics

=F0 Ed --   The 3CX1200A7 does have twice as much feedback C as an 8877=20=

and 33% more feedback C than a 3-500Z.  Does this AL-1200 have a=20
"neutralization" circuit?
.
>                    Dust, humidity, spiders and other bugs,
>                     finger grease on the tube chimney
>                     bent chimney clips
>                     Cracked or damaged blocking capacitor
>
> Actual Cure:
>             Replacement of the tube.

=F0  If the replacement tube happened to have slightly less VHF-gain =
than=20
the original tube, it would have less of a tendency to regenerate at=20
VHF and cause HF tank arcing.  On the other hand, VHF parasites=20
normally increase the =BDs (ohms) of the suppressor resistor, but this=20=

one was reportedly within tolerance.  .

> Apparently, Ameritron has seen this before and replaced the tube w/o=20=

> charge
> (under warranty). The tube was returned to Ameriton
> for testing and 'tested good' but promptly failed when re-inserted in=20=

> my
> amp. Ultimately, my tube went back to Eimac.

=F0  My guess is that the tube was not defective, and that it had more=20=

VHF gain than average.

> (Yes, I know, you shouldn't have seen a flash for a tube arc, but=20
> there was
> an arc. It may have been a reflection
> of the step start relay arcing,

=F0  Not likely.  Step-start currents are mild by design. /   cheers