[Amps] HV fuse

R.Measures r at somis.org
Tue Jul 13 07:08:23 EDT 2004

•  The trouble with high voltage fuses is that the metal vapor  arc
which forms as the fusing wire melts has only c. 30v drop.  However, a
low-ESR 3000v filter C can still do plenty of damage at 2970v, so a
foolproof means of limiting I-peak is needed.  In other words, the
device that the HV fuse is supposed to be protecting from a current
spike is not protected for a finite period of time, and damage may
result.
-  A better solution is to limit I-peak with a suitable HV glitch R and
use circuit breakers, or 250v fuses, in the primaries of the PS
transformers.
cheerz, Lane