[Amps] 8877 Input network testing

jeff millar wa1hco at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 15 21:54:14 EDT 2004

I'm restoring an 8877 on 2M and it needs a better match on the input
network.  I've designed several input network options and now need to
test them.  Here's some questions that I hope someone can answer...

    * According to the data sheet, an 8877 has a Zin of 54 Ohms and 34
      pF in parallel.  For testing, I've soldered a 51 Ohm resistor from
      cathode to ground (close enough), drive a bit of power and tune
      for minimum reflected .  Does this work? Can I expect the input
      capacitance to remain the same even with the tube off?
    * How much additional stray capacitance comes from the tube socket?
      The matching network isn't working as expected and I'm not sure why.

thanks in advance...

jeff, wa1hco