[Amps] 8877 Input network testing

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sat Jul 17 09:00:03 EDT 2004

On Jul 15, 2004, at 6:54 PM, jeff millar wrote:

> I'm restoring an 8877 on 2M and it needs a better match on the input
> network.  I've designed several input network options and now need to
> test them.  Here's some questions that I hope someone can answer...
>
>    * According to the data sheet, an 8877 has a Zin of 54 Ohms and 34
>      pF in parallel.  For testing, I've soldered a 51 Ohm resistor from
>      cathode to ground (close enough), drive a bit of power and tune
>      for minimum reflected .  Does this work?

Jeff --- Not as well as driving the cathode since a g-g cathode in not
the same thing as a fixed resistor -- i. e., the 8877 cathode driving R
fluctuates from c. 8-ohms on the negative half of the driving cycle to
well over 100k-ohms on the positive half of the cycle.  So, 54-ohms? is
just an average.

> Can I expect the input
>      capacitance to remain the same even with the tube off?

Yes