[Amps] oil-filled capacitor operating position

Patrick A. Thompson Sr. wa4tukhr at comcast.net
Mon Mar 1 21:29:54 EST 2004

As far as operating position, I would try to find the manufacturer's
recommendation.  For a clue into what modern types might be capable of see
http://www.plasticcapacitors.com/. The LK series will operate in any
position but I have only seen them used with the terminals up.

My personal preference would be to mount the terminals up because the
terminal area is the most probable leakage area.

Your second question is easier.  The two caps can be paralleled if you do
not exceed the rating of either.  Don't exceed the voltage rating of either
unit and don't exceed the ripple current of either unit. In practice, you
won't have to worry about anything but the voltage rating of the lowest
rated unit. The capacity is simply added together.

Pat
wa4tuk