[Amps] pacemaker and hf amplifiers qstions

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Sun Nov 14 11:07:55 EST 2004

Bill is correct on this. The reason I know a little about it is because
my Grandpa and a friend had one. The thing is about Pacemakers, there's
no way for them to be shielded by themselves (no path to ground). This
was some years back so they may or may not have changed. Back then,
microwave ovens had just gotten popular, and the price dropped, so
everyone was buying them. That was a big concern at that time. I did
repair work for North American Phillips on TV sets (Philco, Sylvania,
and Magnavox), and we got a flier about this if we worked on any
microwave ovens. About that time is when the microwave sniffer probes
became a hot item to check the cabinets for leakage. A strong electrical
field, or any RF field that is strong enough, could cause the pacemaker
to fire pre-maturely or not fire when needed. There supposed to have
been advances in them but for what I do not know. I would start by
contacting her doctor about this and get the info for the manufacturer.
The doctor may have the information there, or will tell you who to
contact. My biggest concern rather than the equipment is the antenna,
and the proximity to it. If I'm not mistaken, there was something about
pacemakers and high tension power lines too. This would be a similar
item, just a different frequency. It's way better to be safe than sorry.

Will Matney