[Amps] Shaded-pole Tube Blower

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Sun Nov 21 18:55:29 EST 2004

Joe Isabella wrote:
>Seems reasonable to have some kind of interlock for this -- a couple
>dollars worth of parts could easily save several hundred in new tubes.
>A friend of mine switched to a pair of 3CPX800s because the squirrel
>cage fan came loose from the motor shaft in his Alpha.  Tubes pretty
>much melted.

Another experience, for what it's worth...

I once wired the blower capacitor on the 2x4CX400A 2m amp so that the
motor ran at about half speed, and backwards. (The motor was going
round, lots of rushing-air noises, right?)

By the time I eventually noticed there was practically no air coming out
the exhaust, and maybe the tuning was drifting just a  little at the 1kW
output level, the poor 4CX400As were practically black from overheating.
But when the motor was wired correctly, they came back like new.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek