[Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use

R.Measures r at somis.org
Thu Nov 25 10:42:21 EST 2004

On Nov 25, 2004, at 7:15 AM, k7fm wrote:

> Even the old tubed Tek 530-540 series are quite useful, although  big
> and
> bulky.

The 547 is a gem.

> They are now available for the labor of carrying them away.  They
> are easy to work on, although frequency limited.  Although I have many
> newer
> scopes, I still love to turn on the old classics.  Heck, when my
> friends
> tell me it is either me or the dump, I jump on these suckers.
>
> Regarding digital scopes.  I have one.  I live near Tek and have a
> number of
> friends who work there.  They all use analog scopes and ask why I got a
> digital scope.
>
> The scope I have above my work bench is an old Tek 454A.  It may be
> the last
> of the user (somewhat easily) repairable scopes.
>
> Next to my scope is a Tek 2710 spectrum analyzer.  That is a joy to
> use.  If
> you have a lot of spare change around, buy yourself a nice spectrum
> analyzer
> for Christmas.

- -  Spectrum analyzers are ideal for observing the VHF anode-circuit
ringing that takes place in All HF amplifiers whenever the
anode-current increases or decreases.  To see this phenomenon:   Keep
the pick-up probe a safe distance from the anode, and send a string of
dits with a keyer.