[Amps] bias for 3cx3000

Stan C. kf6ikc at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 3 19:40:16 EDT 2004

Hello to all. I need some of the experts to give me some advice on a HB amp I am building. I am using a 3CX3000A7 in GG. I want to ad some bias to bring down the zero signal current. To do this I want to use a variac,small transformer,and rectifier.
 Will this work. I am looking at a 3-5 amp variac. A 24vct transformer rated for 5 amps. And a bridge rectifier (the square kind you bolt down).
 Will this work? Do I need to use a small choke in series with the rectified DC to the cathode? Do I run the B+ to the cathode and B- to the grid current meter?
 I hope you can get an idea of what I want to do with this little bit of info. I would like to be able to vari the bias voltage and that is why I am not using a bunch of zeners,block diodes,etc. And yes I know you can run this tube zero bias. But I like a little bias to help the tube run a little cooler,etc.
 Any help or ideas would be great. Always like to enrich my knowledge.

Take care,Stan