[Amps] bias for 3cx3000

Barry Kirkwood bjk at ihug.co.nz
Sun Oct 3 21:58:50 EDT 2004

Stan,
Sounds to me like you are overdetermining things a bit.
Seems to me that if a suitable power transistor is placed in the cathode
circuit,  then the voltage drop across the pass transistor can be controlled
by the voltage between the collector and base of the transistor.
Consider a transistor with a battery to give forward bias between collector
and base, and a resistor ( say, 50 ohms ) between base and the emitter. If a
supply is connected from base to emitter, then the drop across the
transistor will be the battery voltage plus about Vbe ( probly about 1 volt
or so).
If you had some old type C batteries with clips every 1.4V you would have it
made!
But wait, there is more: If you put a string of low wattage zeners in place
of the battery, then you have an amplified zener, and just short out or open
the zeners to set the voltage you want.
This will give better regulation than the zeners alone, and will be cheaper
than a high wattage zener.
Once the operating condition is found you can leave this hookup in place
forever.
Beats me why people buy high watts zeners to set the bias of amplifiers when
there is a better and cheaper way.
73
Barry

end