[Amps] RE: 5 kw amps -- why?

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 19 20:03:36 EDT 2004

Don't get me wrong--I'm not advocating a world-wide ban on these
amps--remember, I was commenting on an American ham.  If I lived in a part
of the world where the limit was let's say, 3 Kw, and I was away from nearby
neighbors, I'd consider equipping myself with the option of going that high.
  In the U.S. I'll even buy an argument for a 2 kw plate dissipation, but
FIVE Kw?  I don't think so.  Thanks for all the (mostly) amusing stories.
As I commented to one guy, with my pair of 3-500s and low voltage supply,
I'm starting to feel like the driver of a Trabant who can't exceed the speed
limit whether he wants to or not.

73,

Rob/K5UJ