[Amps] 5 kw amps -- why?

R.Measures r at somis.org
Wed Oct 20 08:49:46 EDT 2004

On Oct 19, 2004, at 10:12 AM, Rob Atkinson, K5UJ wrote:

> After reading a review in Eham today for the Emtron DX4 (2 4cx2500s)
> by an American ham, I have a question:  Is there any kind of operating
> at the 1.5 kw pep limit that would necessitate an amp with this kind
> of plate dissipation?  Sounded to me like an invitation to have the
> FCC park a van in front of your house.

Rob  -  For a couple of years, I ran an 8170 at 8kV whenever I was
being jammed in the 40m "Combat Zone".  When the curious saw their
S-meters increase 20db, they would ask me what I was running.  I would
tell them.  Some of those who did not know me said I was lying because
no Ham would ever admit to running such a tube.  Letters were written
to the FCC.  However, the FCC never came here.  The laugher is that my
SB-220 was only 8db below the 8170, so it was really no big deal.
-  As I see it, the bottom-line is that the FCC does not come to one's
house unless one is acting like a louse.