[Amps] 5 kw amps -- why?

R.Measures r at somis.org
Wed Oct 20 09:34:23 EDT 2004

On Oct 19, 2004, at 11:44 AM, Barry Kirkwood wrote:

> Well, I manged to fry a "1500W "  commercially made ferrite balun with
> significantly less than 1500kW out, let alone 3kW plus.

The ferrite used in commercial HF baluns typically has a mfg.'s max
freq rating of 500KHz to 1MHz.  However, since balun mfg.'s usually
test their products at <5w, they have no idea that there could be a
problem.    My disillusionment with ferrite baluns began when I
discovered that my 7MHz signal had harmonics above 500MHz that were
strong enough to wipe out UHF line-of sight TV stations.

> Since then have lived in peace with my homebrew coax solenoid baluns.

Amen, Barry.  Beautiful baluns are like unto beautiful women.