[Amps] Blowing off steam

w9ge finger at goeaston.net
Wed Oct 20 14:26:34 EDT 2004

John W0UN has nailed this one.  The "proxy bid" of e-bay allows you the
bidder to only need to bid once, using your maximum price.  .  If no one
else bids, then you get the item for lowest possible bid price (not your
maximum!).  As others bid, your minimum goes up to insure you are still the
high bidder, until your maximum is reached.  If someone wants to  outpay
you, you keep your money, or you can change your mind and increase your
maximum bid amount while the clock is running. Bids are incremented upward
by the amount stated, ie $1.00, $10.00 etc.  Reserves etc. do change the
rules somewhat, but they are not difficult to understand.

If you really really want something, then put a bid in with the HIGHEST
amount you are willing to pay.  Many folks will bid with less than a minute
to go on the clock, just so they have a better chance of getting the item.
Of course they must be willing to bid higher than your HIGHEST bid to do
this.  It is a guessing game of sorts.  If they guess right and go above
your maximum, then your maximum just was not good enough.

It happened to me recently on an Alpha 77...I put in my highest bid several
days before auction end.  I was "high bidder" throughout as price went up
incrementally, and then with less than ten seconds to go I was beat out by
someone else....he paid more than my highest bid.  He got a good deal.  I
was not unhappy because I had decided what it was worth to me, and no more.
I would like to know how high he was willing to go, but that is what is fun
about auctions.  You never really know.  Result is I am still looking for a
good Alpha 77.

Keep your eyes open as I am considering putting my Collins 204 H-1 up for
auction.  0.1 watt in for 4 kw out, autotune to boot.  A real monster.

 73 bob de w9ge