[Amps] RE: Snipers are the scourge of Ebay]

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at ispwest.com
Wed Oct 20 19:20:35 EDT 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:06:12 +0000, Arthur Moe wrote:

>If I think that there is a shill in the
>bidders all I have to do is not bid or bid at the last second so the shill can
>NOT up the bid.

That would be true if the shill is bidding manually, but there is no
reason for a shill to do so.  Ebay uses proxy bidding which works
great for shills.  The shill places his high bid early and lets the
rest of the bidders whale away.  The only way you could beat proxy
bidding is to time your bid to arrive literally within the last
fraction of a second, which is impossible to do given the latency of
the internet.  Even if your bid arrives with a tenth of a second to
spare, the proxy shill bid is already in ebay's computers.  You lose.

--
BT