[Amps] High Temp silcone rubber sheet, was chimney material suggestion GI35b

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Sat Oct 23 15:13:31 EDT 2004

In this instance, bringing the pipe up to the fins at the bottom should
work. The pipe ID is 3.998" and the tube's OD is 3.945". If you wanted
to bring the pipe up over the fin body, you should use pipe/tubing just
slightly larger in ID than the fin bodies OD. Even though the air temp
is only about 110 deg. F., the anode temp can get to 200 deg C, or 392
deg. F max at the anode connector. This heat is then dissipated by the
fins. It could cause softening if the pipe is touching the fin body, I'm
not sure. Some other steel tubes can run hotter than this. Plus there's
the RF rating of the plastic. If it'll withstand a microwave test on
high heat for about 1-2 minutes, it should be ok.

What I've been looking at is using a fish-paper type tubing. Fish paper
is a rag type paper with a clay mixed in. It's heat rating in
transformers and other electrical components is good and the
flammability is really low. A good stiff piece of fish paper could be
made into a tube easily, then glued making a good chimney. I know fish
paper can withstand 350 deg F. easily as this is the temp transformers
are baked.

Will Matney