[Amps] GU43B amp for 2m ?

G0RUZ Conrad conrad at g0ruz.net
Tue Oct 26 16:45:58 EDT 2004

Yes its a copy of the 4CX1000A amplifier that was published in the ARRL
handbook. I have built this amp and used a 4CX1500B in it, the key is to
ground the screen. One other caveat is that there is a strange mode set up
in the anode compartment. I cured it by placing a big (100w) 120 ohm carbon
resistor stood off the chassis two insulators. I had seen this in some Band
II cavity amplifiers and it completely cured it, I was astonished at the
time.

A far better prospect is to use a 1/2wl line over the anode cooler similar
to this:

http://www.nd2x.net/OH3AWW.html

No nasty PTFE sandwiches to flashover and really good efficiency. I would
still ground the screen and operate the cathode and g1 at minus g2
potential.

73

Conrad G0RUZ