[Amps] Overengineering a pi-network bandswitch

Angel Vilaseca avilaseca at bluewin.ch
Wed Sep 1 02:11:38 EDT 2004

Hi,

I am building a kilowatt shortwave amp.
I need a switch to short-circuit a variable part of the coil in the
output pi-network to tune into every amateur band.

Unfortunately, heavy-duty, ceramic wafer rotary switches are hard to
find nowadays.

On the other hand, I have several 10-A, 220 V mains rocker switches,
which (I think) could handle the currents and voltages. RF behavior
should not be very different from a rotary switch (would it?). I am
planning to use an array of these instead of a rotary switch. Some
clever use by the operator (me!) would be the only difference. But
ruggedness would be enhanced.

Has anyone already tried this?

Best 73

Angel Vilaseca HB9SLV