[Amps] re cooling of coils

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Sun Sep 5 19:31:04 EDT 2004

Really, the cooling of the tank circuit can be done numerous ways.
However, amateur equipment manufacturers look at the cost. They want to
build an amp that they can get the most out of with the less innards.
Actually, just sizing the conductors to a large enough value is all
thats needed in most cases. The manufacturers try to get buy with the
least sizes over one thing. cost. Just like Alpha offering a fan for an
option. Why not put the fan in as standard if it's needed? The sodium
idea was good for transferring heat to the mass of the head on the
valves like was mentioned The molten sodium would flow due to the
differences in temperatures. Sodium becomes liquid has a low melting
point, but higher than what water boils at. Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) will
boil with water at 180 degrees when the saturation is mixed correctly
and is used to blue steel. It has been used in other industrial
applications, including cooling. A refrigerant could be pumped through a
coil to do this too, with a heat exchanger on the other end with a
compressor. Even water could be pumped through one or the coil be
immersed in oil. I think Hal mentioned the vacuum cleaner hose to route
an air flow onto a coil. If it wasn't Hal forgive me, my mind is short
as other things sometimes. When amps are designed, an experienced
designer takes all this into consideration or should. Some doesn't and
is seen in the final products.

Generally, fan cooled amps have better tank cooling than do blower
cooled amps. In my opinion, a fan should be used with a blower to cool
one correctly. Not only does tank components need cooling, the large HV
electrolytic capacitors do too. Heat is the #1 killer of these.
Transformers benefit from an air flow across their coil. Really, any
part subject to heat will benefit. What's the price of one fan compared
to maybe X2 the life span of the amp? But, if the amp wouldn't wear out,
they wouldn't be able to sell more after a while.

Will Matney