[Amps] Quiet Cooling

k7fm k7fm at teleport.com
Mon Sep 6 19:44:23 EDT 2004

Most motorcycles are loud.  Those with the most power make the most noise.
Same with recip aircraft engines.  Sort of an ego thing.  So, why do we want
to quiet the fans?

Shouldn't fans be a dull roar, so the person on the receiving end knows you
have real amplifier and not just a gigantic beam?

How do we separate the macho hams from the qrp crowd?

I often take a loud battery operated fan with me when hiking, to put near
the mike so that hams will not know I am qrp.  Otherwise, no one answers me.
Camping by a waterfall saves having to use the fan.

For those who really wish to be quiet, we can simply apply noise cancelling
technology to the input to make the fan inaudible.  Should be easy to
silence.  Similar to the Lamb noise silencer at audio frequency.

73,  Colin  K7FM

---