[Amps] New Panasonic Tube Radio

R.Measures r at somis.org
Tue Sep 7 07:29:50 EDT 2004

On Sep 6, 2004, at 9:42 PM, Harold B. Mandel wrote:

> Oh, it's a sad, sad story, Mark.
>
> For some guys, it's like "Losing The Lottery."
>
> Denny's LK-series sure had a huge following.

The good thing about the LK-series was that they were the first g-g
amplifier to use tuned inputs with a Q that was high enough for
solid-state radios.

> His outboard tranny
> triple 3-500Z (LK-550) was a great start. I can imagine he woulda
> worked out the kinks if Atilla The Hun hadn't grabbed the throttle.

As I understand it, there would have been no opportunity to grab the
company if Denny and his secretary had not been caught in flagrante
delicto by Denny's wife, who subsequently filed for divorce, and, as a
result, Amp Supply Co. had to be sold in the community property
settlement.  ///  As to working out the kinks, I am doubtful.  To wit:
Denny sent the MLA-2500 prototype to Eimac for evaluation.  Eimac
attempted to help Denny correct the RF faux pas in the MLA-2500, but he
discarded their 'how to improve the design report' and went into
production.  Hubris was probably part of the reason for this, but
Eimac's report would seemingly be difficult to comprehend for someone
who either did not take AC circuit-analysis in college, or did not
spend the time necessary to dig it out of the textbooks.   Thus, unless
Denny understood the fundamental reasons behind the needed changes, he
would have been unlikely to see the need for implementing them.  As a
result, the return-rate on the 2500 was untenable.
-  Murphy said that nothing is as easy as it looks.
cheers