[Amps] AM-6154 questions

RICHARD GEORGE k6kwq at msn.com
Sun Sep 12 15:17:27 EDT 2004

I would have never left it running for that long. This amp was only designed for 50 watts out. You probably overheated the cavity and after you left it off and it cooled down it now is making contact in the cavity. In my experience with these amps, leave the 8930 in place. You said you only wanted 150 watts. Did you note the difference in anode size when you changed the tube? 350 watts output is about the safe max on SSB. I know you here about 500 watts out, I can guarantee not for long, and it will sound terrible. I modified my last one by cutting the power supply away from the cavity and making it 2 pieces. Much easier to transport to mountain tops, and you can replace the noise maker 400hz fan with a bigger ac fan for more cooling.
But again opinions  are like a## H#### every one has one.

K6KWQ Dick "12 Volt radios are for wimps, real radios can kill you" Still can't make it go QRO with "More Power"