[Amps] Panasonic tube radio

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Sun Sep 12 19:24:49 EDT 2004

Jos,
I got into doing antique radio restorations when I graduated also. A
mentor of mine who went to school with my mother, now would have been
about 82 years old (sadly passed on), gave me his set of Ryder manuals
and books as a graduation present. Before I stated my own shop, I worked
for him full time about a year. He had a radio repair shop, and back
then (1984), there was still a large amount of tube equipment around. I
actually worked part time after school for him when I was 16 on till my
shop. I met Ed Delaney through him who most know manufactured the D&A
amplifiers. He was a ham, and an instructor at a correspondence trade
school. His picture used to be in several radio magazine ads. I can't
now think of the name of that school, but he lived in Nebraska. He
talked me into getting into amplifiers along with Abe Brewer of Brewer
labs. Most know what they manufactured without getting into that here.
There knowledge was deep and sure did help with anything I wanted to
know. Ed died not long after I met him, if I recall with cancer. I
offered to buy the remains of D&A at one time from his widow but she
wanted to much. I think she priced it at about $75,000+ and that was way
too much money for somebody my age back then (1984?). It ended up going
out to several surplus houses I heard. Anyhow, tubes were what I cut my
teeth on.

I have an old "push button" Zenith B&W here I've kept as an antique.
Push button back then was a Rube Goldberg contraption. To change the
channels, you pushed in a big button on the cabinet where the tuner knob
would have been. A stepping motor inside turned the 13 channel tuner.
That was once touted as a major advance in television, Har Har! I still
fire it up every now and then, but the caps are going to have to be
changed as the verticle hold is starting to get screwy. I have an old
Zenith floor radio here too I overhauled. It's one of the tall wooden
ones from back in the late 40's or early 50's. To be very honest, I like
the sound of the thing.

Besides RF amps, I like tinkering on tube guitar amps. I've had Marshall
Plexis, Ampeg Porta-Flex's, Fender Bassmans, etc. all come through here
from local bands and others. I've had request, on top of request, to get
more distortion out of some. After working on them I generally get a
free jam session to test drive them so to speak. I had a complete
bluegrass band here at the shop one time. Needless to say, I didn't get
much work dome but it was fun. I'm not able to do a lot with them now
like I did, but sure enjoyed it.

The prices some are getting for these "new ones" is ridiculous. Tabletop
models with the tubes showing just for the looks, are running at war
prices. I've thought awful seriously in getting into these, but haven't
yet, as I just don't see a market that well here. There's not that much
to one to get a couple thousand bucks out of it, and folks are paying it
evidently! There's a new tube tester available, specializing in audio
tubes, and the price for it is ridiculous too! I know one thing, they
can be built for about 1/8 the price and be sold for 1/4 of the going
rate. There's some transformer-choke manufacturers stating theirs is
better than others for audio quality, and you'll pay that quality price
for them. If they're designed correctly ( for audio service), there
shouldn't be any difference. One sales gimmick after another to get that
extra buck.

Will Matney