[Amps] AM-6154 questions

JMLTINC at aol.com JMLTINC at aol.com
Wed Sep 15 11:27:28 EDT 2004

Hi Web-

I am a bit confused by your posts. In the original, you said it idled at 150 watts, but said in the second post you did not have the Hi-V turned on. These amps are overbuilt, and despite they were set up for 50 watts (AM) from the factory, I would guess that 150 watts overnight would not be fatal. Anyway, you stated this problem has surfaced before and it now works.

The relative meter readings you posted seem OK. You did not post what plate current was when you had no output -- did you have any? And what about plate current with no drive?

In any event, I have had an AM-6155 for two years for both SSB and FM. With the original tube, this amp will put out 450 watts on 2 meter FM. I have run this amp for hours, keyed-down, while duplexing on ATV. The only problem I have ever experienced during operation is slight output tuning drift after 1 minute or so of key-down.

For what it's worth:
1) I experienced intermittent power output (but never dead) after the conversion to 2 meters. The braid of the short coax jumpers that connects the cavity to the outside world were
corroded where the shield is smooshed inside the N-connector - all of the connectors were like this. The worst was the custom connector that forms the output coupling (the one with the RA gear). You must unsolder the access plug to replace the coax on this fitting; difficult, but mandatory.
2) I assume the filter and directional coupler have been removed; they are only good for 60 watts or so.
3) Could you have an intermittent t/r relay (dirty)?
4) Someone mentioned it; could the inside of the cavity be corroded? I suppose the amp could go dead, but it sure would change output tuning to the point of no, or very low output.

If it only happened after installing the 4CX400, then:
1) Did you slightly bend the fingerstock to the anode? The 4CX400 is a slightly smaller diameter than the Eimac.
2) Finally, and no offense, did you tune the amplifier after replacing the tube? When you had no output, did you try tuning? Does it tune at all? Sometimes the Allen setscrews on the knob or tuning rod couplers come loose.

Web, don't get discouraged. These are great amplifiers for what they cost. Although I have not performed the 4CX400 mod, it seems like a worthy endeavor for SSB. With proper bias, that amp should operate (and sound) fine.

Good luck!
John, N9RF