[AMPS] floating a filament transformer

R.Measures r at somis.org
Thu Sep 16 11:04:33 EDT 2004

On Sep 16, 2004, at 5:22 AM, lncarman wrote:

> I've heard over the years of some amp builders floating the filament
> transformer. I was
> told that you isolate the filament transformer from ground and add two
> chokes
> in the primary side with bypassing. Since the primary side is 115V or
> 220V the
> amperes demand would be much less on the primary side. Looks like any
> RF would
> be suppressed greatly by the filament transformer and you wouldn't
> need a lot of
> uH in the primary chokes to finish the job.  Has anyone tried this???

---  It is common in commercial g-g applications, Larry.  All filament
xfmr windings are RF-bypassed to the core and the transformer is
floated on a insulating sheet of ABS or G-10.  A bifilar choke is
placed in the primary of the transformer.  After installation, the C
from the core to gnd is measured and this amount is subtracted from the
calculation(s) for C2 in the tuned-input(s).  An additional choke is
connected to the fil. secondary CT to provide the DC path for electrons
going to the the cathode from the –HV.  As I see it, filament currents
of more than 30A are a candidate for this solution.  Thus, a filament
choke for a 3cx10,000A7/8160 (7.5v/99A) would typically be  Much
smaller than a filament choke for a pair of 3-500Zs (5v/30A).   In this
  case, with 240v mains, the filament choke for the 8160 would only need
to be wound with #22-ga, wire, while the choke for the 3-500Zs would
need to be wound with #8 gauge wire.
- cheerz