[Amps] input matching question on the YC156?

R.Measures r at somis.org
Fri Sep 17 07:05:36 EDT 2004

On Sep 16, 2004, at 9:54 PM, Leigh S. Jones wrote:

> Neil
>
> I can't imagine that this has gone on all day and no one has told you.
> I may get a little heavy handed here.  Sorry in advance.  Applying
> drive power without pre-heating the filaments is not allowed for this
> tube.  I'm not an Eimac employee, but I have read the 3CPX5000A7
> data sheet.
>
> Two simple rules:
>
> rule 1: never apply plate voltage to the tube nor apply drive power
> until after the prescribed filament warm-up period has elapsed

Hello, Leigh -- Drawing cathode-I before a proper warmup can strip the
barium-oxide and strontium oxide coating off of a heater-type cathode.
Applying anode-V to a heater-type cathode that has cut-off grid-bias
applied causes no damage because no cathode-I can be drawn in the
cut-off state.  OTOH, the vast majority of filament-type (thoriated
tungsten) cathodes can safely provide current during their
approximately 1-second warmup period because the tungsten di-carbide
emissive layer is epitaxially bonded to the thoriated tungsten beneath.

> rule 2: never apply drive power until plate voltage has been applied

> details:
>
> 1) apply forced air cooling
> 2) apply filament voltage
> 3) delay according to tube manufacturers instructions

A retired Eimac engineering department employee told me that an
additional 30-seconds of warmup above the stated spec is not a bad idea
since the marketing department was constantly trying to push specified
warmup times lower than the engineering department wanted.
-  To observe how much warmup time a heater-type cathode requires,
connect a DMM between the cathode and the grid, apply heater power
(only) and measure the potential  as the cathode warms up.  When the V
stops increasing, the cathode is warmed-up.
.