[Amps] Applying HV to PA anodes

Harold B. Mandel ka1xo at juno.com
Fri Sep 17 12:45:52 EDT 2004

Gentlemen,

In the course of understanding the safe and reliable operation of
triode amplifiers, a disparity of information has reached me and I ask
for your comments and advice:

Pat Stein, manufacturer of the COMMAND series of HF linear amplifiers,
states that EIMAC has advised him that with a 3-minute warmup of
3CPX800A7 triodes, the HV may be applied to the anodes immediately
on startup, and this is the procedure for his products.

In the past, I have always delayed applying HV to the anodes until after
the 3-minute minimum warmup of ceramic triodes.

Is it or is it not necessary to withhold anode voltage while the
'800A7's (etc.) warm up???
Thank you, and,

Respectfully,

Hal Mandel