[Amps] input matching question on the YC156?

Harold B. Mandel ka1xo at juno.com
Fri Sep 17 13:37:56 EDT 2004

Gentlemen,

In reading the posts below do I detect a tendency to use a HV relay
to switch the HV on and off every time the amplifier is keyed?

Using the 3CPX5000 scenario posted before, would then the
sequence (abridged) be:

1. Apply HV-  (B- as Will espouses, below).
2. Apply Bias.
3. Trigger antenna relays.
4. Apply drive voltage.

5. Remove Dive voltage.
6. Remove Bias.
7. Remove HV-
8. Unpick antenna relays.

This sounds like a switching sequence nightmare!
If I'm running 4KV at 2 amperes on the plates, I need to
run serious vacuum relays (and I do, I do!), but they
are huge and slow. I could see all this in a setup that
had long turn-around Tx/Rx, like RTTY bulletin stations,
but what happens to PSK31, AMTOR and contesting
operators when they want to "get up and go?"

Hal Mandel
W4HBM