[Amps] input matching question on the YC156?

craxd craxd1 at ezwv.com
Sat Sep 18 12:44:54 EDT 2004

Peter,
On the bias circuits of most amps I've done had a relay that switched
full negative supply voltage on G1 when the amp was idle. When it was
keyed, it applied an adjustable regulated supply. For screen voltage, I
always killed it with a relay so it was only present on transmit. About
the only other way is to pick it up off the anode voltage supply
somewhere like you mentioned. On these I used the same relay to switch
in the screen and bias. It was triggered by the antenna relay. Some I
used B- switching and some I didn't. Someone mentioned earlier about
cathode bias switching which is another way to hamper the tube from
operating on idle. This works especially well in triodes. Back on the
screen, I used a current trigger to switch out the screen voltage and
throw G2 to ground in and over current mode. Negative screen current was
dealt with by a resistor at the socket connected to G2. It also had a
MOV and a safety zener string which was a shade over the running screen
voltage. The zener string and the MOV was there to clamp anything over
the correct voltage to ground. On any I've built for myself, I've never
used a timer. I just always made sure to watch the clock but that's not
kosher for any commercial amp. I always let mine run 10 minutes before I
ever keyed it down. That's overkill but I always stuck with it. I also
had each supply voltage metered so if there was any problem, I'd see it.
On large amps, with expensive tubes, I like a meter for each supply. One
using a single meter and a switch, I find most are too lazy to go
through it and visually check everything, including myself.

There's all kinds of different circuits to obtain the same result. Power
bipolar transistors, or FET's could be used in place of relays for the
screen and bias switching. They can be used for the cathode bias
switching too. It's really up to the home brewer or customer on what
they want.

Will Matney

Yes, it depends on the kind of tube.

I run several different homebrew amps:
Two with glass envelope tetrodes in highµ, those are instant on with
HT and heater applied the same time.
On 23cm I use a TH-338 triode with all voltages supplied at the same
time, but bias switching and coaxial relays disabled for 3 minutes.
I built two with the tetrode YL1056 for 2m and 70cm, there the screen
is grounded and screen voltage applied to the cathode. A string of diodes
from anode to ground makes shure I have screen voltage if the anode
voltage failes.
The tube is 3 minutes preheated and disabled for that time.
Screen and anode current is electronically controlled as well as
presence of anode voltage to disable screen voltage if absent.
At present I am building one with two of those tubes for HF
There is one with the 8171, same practise as the YLs.
Another two with 4CX3000/5000A, but currents controlled by relays.
All amps with ceramic tubes switch off without blower pessure after 30
seconds and screen voltage is not switchable  without anode voltage.
I never had the idea to switch the B+, that is switched on the primary
of the transformer only

73
Peter