[Amps] Equalising resistors with HV diodes

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sun Sep 19 20:13:02 EDT 2004

On Sep 19, 2004, at 3:51 PM, Radio WC6W wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:55:33 +0200 (CEST) Roger B <f6fer at yahoo.fr>
> writes:
>> Hello to all
>> I am designing a 2kV PSU for a 1kW amp (bridge not
>> doubler).
>> About equalising resistors and capacitors with HV
>> diodes, some says it is absolutely necessary. Others
>> say it is a waste of time with modern diodes.
>> Any comment will be appreciated. 73 Roger
>
> Hi Roger,
>    Depends on which diodes... and how reliable you wish the resulting
> unit to be...

- Indeed   But do "equalizing" resistors increase or decrease
reliability?  Without equalizing resistors, and provided that all of
the rectifiers in a series-string have similar junction-capacitances,
the reverse current is the same in each one.  Since excessive
reverse-current is what typically causes rectifier failure, not having
more reverse current in any one rectifier is desirable.  Although
"equalizing" resistors equalize reverse voltages, they often
un-equalize reverse currents. Thus, unless the measured PIVs of the
rectifiers are identical, removing equalizing resistors should increase
reliability.