[Amps] Equalising resistors with HV diodes

R.Measures r at somis.org
Tue Sep 21 03:46:38 EDT 2004

On Sep 20, 2004, at 10:16 PM, bb wrote:

>> 73,
>>    Marv  WC6W
>>
>> P.S. -- Here are two more good references on the topic:
>>
>> Rca Silicon Power Circuits Manual, SB-50, 1967, pp. 23-26
>>
>> International Rectifier Superpower High Voltage Rectifier Columns,
>> SR-370-A, 1960, p. 3
>
> Marv,
> First I don't have a dog in this pit.
> But I do have one question.
> So far all the books you listed where printed before 1967
> and things change in almost 40 years.
> Do you use or have any references newer on this subject?
>
> In past projects and travels I have not had any problems in not using
> equalizing resistors as long as you follow the rules.
> The one thing that gets me is how big this debate is,  just
> like the one you reference 5years ago on this list.
> This is as big as tube audio debate.
> All I can say is WOW and never post any questions on diodes.

Bennie -  I thought it was a excellent question since it helped to
promote  Thinking  about series and parallel circuits -- i.e., mainly
that in a parallel circuit the voltages are equal, the currents can be
unequal, and in a series circuit the currents can not be other than
equal, but the voltages can be different.  Thus, a parallel circuit is
needed to equalize voltages -- such as is the case with series filter
capacitors.  For equalizing reverse currents (in diodes for example), a
series circuit does the job quite nicely.  So what kind of logic is
behind adding a parallel circuit ("equalizing resistors") to a
perfectly good series circuit where the goal of equalizing currents has
already been reached?  I would say it's seemingly the specious kind.
- cheerz