[Amps] AL1200

Joe Isabella n3ji at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 11:42:36 EDT 2004

If it's the input circuitry, you'd have high SWR when driving the amp -- are you seeing that?

Joe,
N3JI

K9RT at aol.com wrote:
Have a friend with an AL1200 that recently stopped transmitting on 80 meters
only. Works fine, full output on all other bands.
He said he heard a hiss and then it stopped working on 80. I looked at the
bandswitch contacts and loading coil and can see no evidence of burned/arcing.
We tried to load it again yesterday and a nice burned odor permeated the
room. No output again on 80 only.
Any suggestions? I am leaning towards the input circuitry but he is dreading
shipping it back to Ameritron.
Any suggestions as to reputable amp service work in the midwest in the
vicinity of Louisville, KY? He would much rather drive a little and deliver the
amp rather than risk shipping this beast.

Thanks for any help/advice and will pass it along as received.

Dick K9RT