[BULK] - [Amps] AL1200

Steve Katz stevek at jmr.com
Wed Sep 22 11:32:24 EDT 2004

Don't know why you'd smell anything if it was a "tuned input"
problem...although I suppose the little slug-tuned inductor could go "poof,"
or the mica caps could flash -- but I'd think that would happen just once,
and stop happening, and there isn't much material there to burn.

Sounds more like an output tank problem.

What does the 3CX1200 plate current and grid current indicate when he
*tries* to operate on 80m (apply just a little drive, to see if Ip and Ig
rise to indicate anything)?

Normally a "bad smell" is from stuff burning up due to lots of DC input
power with very little or no RF output power, so all the power consumed is
dissipated in the box....

-WB2WIK/6

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." - Ken
Olson, Chairman & Founder, Digital Equipment Corporation (1977)