[Amps] 20kw Dummy load?

R.Measures r at somis.org
Fri Sep 24 08:04:56 EDT 2004

On Sep 23, 2004, at 7:58 PM, Michael Tope wrote:

> Has anyone tried submerging MFJ Cantenna's into a water
> tank.

The weakness of such loads is that cooling oil is a lesser conductor of
heat than water.  The tradeoff with water is that it is so corrosive
that it can not be left in contact with the R for long periods of time.
  Thus, coolant water must be added before testing and drained after
testing.
.
>  I was thinking of building up some power dividers and
> running 4 of those cans in parallel to make a cheap high power
> load. One can will take 1.5KW, but the duty cycle is pretty low
> (something like 1 minute on, 10 minutes off).

Michael -- Have you ever measured the resistance of an MFJ  or Heath
Cantenna After 1-minute of  NØN (hammer-down)  at 1500W?

> Seems like
> conduction cooling between the can body and a water bath
> would be of some benefit.

In a long test, yes, but the main problem is bubbles forming in the
cooling oil at the surface of the resistor.
cheers