[Amps] Design for plate stripline for 144 MHZ

jeff millar wa1hco at adelphia.net
Fri Sep 24 19:51:40 EDT 2004

Manny...

Check out the response I just sent to the reflector and Jim N9RF.

Do you have a preferred design style from http://nd2x.net or some other
source?  The basic decisions include W6PO style with two 1/4 lines, HF
technique style by YU1AW, or stripline style.  Mentioning DC blocking
caps implies you're not using the 1/2 wave design like Jim (probably a
good choice at the 700-1000W level...much more compact)

I can show you how to use the smith chart modeling software to create
the design for the length of the line sections.  The modeling software
works well for any type of output network.

Usually, these amps use capacitive probe output coupling at the hi
impedance end of the line, which for a 1/4 wave design occurs near the
tube.   YU1AW has pioneered using an inductor instead of a plate line to
lower the impedance and enables using conventional 50 - 100 pF class air
variable capacitors for tune and load...and they get mounted some
distance from the tube, making for a better layout.

Assuming a stripline design, the line height is chosen mostly for
mechanical reason to match the height of the anode ring.  Also the line
needs enough width to carry the high currents.  The line probably should
lie closer to the screen ring plane than the top cover to keep most of
the return currents within the anode to screen loop.  But, the top of
the chassis and cover forms part of the transmission line and carries
some fraction of the  currents.  The details affect the line impedance
used in the model but little else.

Door knob caps are a good decision.  Gimmick caps don't have good
mechanical stability and will change value under heating more than a
commercial cap.

this is a favorite topic of mine...hope it helps...

jeff, wa1hco