[Amps] grid dip meters

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sun Apr 17 14:55:21 EDT 2005

Just a word of caution, Harry. I'm told the MFJ-259 makes a
lousy grid dipmeter. In a normal dipmeter the coils are part
of the oscillator tank circuit so you can get tight coupling
between the device under test and the oscillator. The MFJ-259
is designed to minimize the coupling between the oscillator
and the output port where you attach the dipmeter coils since
in normal impedance analyzer mode you don't want the device
under test to pull the oscillator frequency. I have heard the
designer of the MFJ-259 (W8JI) tell people that he advised
MFJ not to sell the dip meter add on coils for the MFJ-259
because they didn't really work very well. They ignored his
advice.

BTW, I just checked the MFJ website. They are now selling a
1.5 to 250 MHz dip meter for $119. I don't know how good it
is, but I suspect it is night and day better than trying to make
the MFJ-259 work as a dipmeter.