[Amps] Cut core and EI core loss diferences

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Thu Apr 21 18:47:03 EDT 2005

Mike,

Thanks for the comments. I happened across that book after Tom Aldridge and myself discussed the possibility of using a saturable reactor to control inrush current in our amps, which by the way will work. I did a good bit of research on the subject and needed research material. I just happened across the book on eBay and it surely fit the bill. One thing I have found is that the older books on magnetics from the 1920's to say the 1960's have way more good useful information than anything new in print. That also gave me the idea of writing a book on the subject using the newest construction materials and practices. I have started it, but it will be some time to complete, as I only work on it when I have time, or really feel like it. What I want is a good in depth technical book on the subject but also one any layman can understand in the process.

The main thing is, I wanted to put a stop to the mis-information that has been fed to amateur operators about their equipment over the years. What I assume happened was when Hipersil first hit the scene, it was true that it had less iron losses than what was then known as silicon steel. Silicon steel at the time was only cold rolled NON-oriented steel. Hipersil was the first cold rolled GRAIN-oriented steel, and was only available in cut cores through Westinghouse for some years. I figure after the patents ran out, and others began to make it in sheet, or coil, they began using it in the EI core types. When this happened, it threw out the toe hold that Hipersil had as being the best. The problem is that this kept on by word of mouth and was hardly ever talked about because nobody thought to look at it. I only noticed it when looking over the watts per pound loss curves between the core types using the same steel about two years ago. Yet, I figured it was only because of the cut gaps on the cores which caused it until I read the part in the book. Other books just skimmed by the subject without coming out and saying it. Some only mentioning what a Hipersil, or cut core was, and showing a few pictures.

Electrical steel has advanced a huge bit over the years (especially in the last 40) where several types have higher permeabilities, and some higher flux densities than M2 grade CRGO steel. When looking at any core type, the central core inside the windings is the most important part and really is what determines everything besides adding an air gap. The area of the cross section is what determines its power handling capability, and is definitely where you would want to control what losses you have the most. The legs, and yokes, do count too, but not as much as the central core itself. The ones I'd think with the lowest losses would be ones wound like the spira-core by GE which has no cut air gaps, just the ones between the strip. It is wound as a toroid on the winding itself. They also make strip wound toroids too and are being used some today I see in some European amps. The only problem with these is needing to use a toroidal winder, and are slower to wind than an open coil in a lathe. I forget the manufacturer I seen using these, if anyone knows, please let us know.

Best,

Will